Bye Bye Van...

We sold our "vacation home". Didn't know we had one? Well, that's because it's not really a home. Not REALLY. We had a VW Eurovan Winnebago, which is like a super-deluxe Westfalia. I loved that van, it was like a cute cozy turtle as everything you needed to live was inside.

So why did we sell it? Hmm. Well, as with every major decision it was multi-factorial, with no one overwhelming reason. Probably the biggest thing was I drove it every day, as a car, and while it works for that, it's pretty big and long and not that great on gas. It's like driving a full-size truck around all the time, and didn't totally jive with how I feel on leaving as small a carbon footprint as you reasonably can. Another reason was it was 10 years old, and while it only had 100,000 miles on it, it can't be expected to live forever, so I knew we'd be selling it at some point in the next few years. We had a couple of major repairs over the last year, but it was actually running almost mint. I figured that meant it wasn't a bad idea to sell it; as if I'd just paid a big repair bill I'd want to keep it to get my money's worth.

Jason and I decided to put an ad in Craig's List, just to see what interest there was. We didn't need to sell it, so if we didn't get a good price, we weren't going to let it go. It's kind of nice to be in that proverbial driver's seat (yes, pun intended) when selling a vehicle. After several inquiries that I wasn't interested in pursuing, along came a nice family from Vernon who offered what we wanted, but more importantly were excited about the van and would give it a good home. I transferred it over to them this past weekend, and it was bittersweet.

It was the perfect vehicle for us, for about 5% of the time. The other 95%... well, it was just a big vehicle to drive around. I'll always have a special place in my heart for that van, and I know they'll be times when both Jason and I say "oh, if we only still had the van...". Such is life.

1 comment:

  1. Bye Bye van. I'll miss you! You never know when you need to have a bed on wheels, and a kitchen.