Snowy Afternoon Run

We are pretty lucky here on Vancouver Island, and we know it.  Our "winter" is pretty different than what the rest of our country experiences.  Like most of Canada, pretty much every kid plays hockey.  But unlike most of Canada, we're mowing lawns in February while the rest are digging out from under snowbanks.


Mother Nature never lets us forget that we are Canadian though, and I'd say we get at least 2-3 days of snow every year.  Yesterday a light dusting fell, just enough to make everything pretty.  Normally I shun snow, but decided this time to enjoy it and took Humu for a run.

Start of the Cowichan Valley Trail.



Won't exactly make the cover of Winter Wonderland
magazine, but still pretty and peaceful.


This morning though was a different story - some true Canadian karma as we got dumped on.  I think there's about 10 centimetres on our deck.  Roads were treacherous and barely passable.  A lot of people - including many of my students despite their finals next week - just stayed at home.  Yes... I know that 10 cm doesn't really rank as a great Canadian snowfall, but here it does.  And it looks like we avoided the worst of it - seems that Seattle and Portland got really pounded.  What will all the Portland fixie-riders do to get around town?

It's supposed to start raining Friday though, so there's only a couple more days of the white stuff left.  I am venturing into unknown territory and will try to do a long run tomorrow in the snow.  Sidewalks are impassable, but the trails should be ok.  I'm going to see how long I can last before my feet freeze anyway.  Wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment