Tri of Compassion race report

Sunday's race went pretty well; I felt good all day and turns out I finished in 3rd place in my age group!

It was a 500m pool swim at the Esquimalt Rec Centre, which is the warmest pool in Victoria (about the same temperature as bathwater), so I was not expecting a good swim.  There were also 5 people in my lane with varied swim times - not sure why they set it up like that - but lucky for us one didn't show.  I started off strong and held on, even though at 350 meters I thought I was going to overheat.  But the super-short swim was over quickly and I finished in 7:59, first time breaking 8 minutes for 500 meters!  

I ran to my bike - BTW my hot pink Betty Designs saddle makes it REALLY easy to spot on a transition rack - and was out of transition quickly and on to the 20km bike course.  It was three loops so I got to see Jason, Tiki, and my friend Candace a few times as I went around through residential areas and a navy base.  I was pushing hard but riding comfortably, and came into transition in just under 38 minutes.  I think - because in the official results they combined T1 & T2 times with the bike time (total 41 min), and I forgot to hit stop on my Garmin or have it on auto-pause.  Also, that's one way to render a power file absolutely useless - oops!


Putting my sock on over my broken toe was a bit of a feat, but soon enough I was out of T2 and on to the run.  I haven't been running that much lately with the whole knee thing, but felt good... of course the first half of the course was downhill so that's probably why.  It went down to the ocean from the rec centre and around McAuley Point - a really pretty run course - and then back up.  I just put my head down and kept running, knowing it would be slow but I didn't really care.  Run time was 35 minutes.  Not my best, not my worst.  But good enough for 3rd in the end.


It was a fun race, very low-key, and a fundraiser for the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre so a good cause.  I plan to do it again next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment